Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Eloquence

In Ethiopia “great value is attached to eloquence, and a man who can use evocative language to create ambiguity and subtle shades of meaning is highly regarded”1. When I read this I wanted to up and move there! I wanted to connect with and enjoy the company of these people and have them think me great . . .


What would Paul have to say about this? “When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.”2


So where does that leave the Ethiopians and I? I should be wary of my motives and of the effect that any eloquence is likely to have on my listeners or readers. I should not boast about or take pride in my eloquence. I should be careful not to impress people, or try to impress people, in case they end up putting their trust and faith in me. In short, I should beware of setting up eloquence or my self as idols.


Instead I should resolve to have Jesus Christ and him crucified always on my mind. I should rely on the Spirit's power whenever I speak and act. If I end up speaking with wisdom and eloquence, then this is good and can be appreciated and enjoyed (as long as my listeners are not lead astray). And I certainly should not go to the other extreme and purposefully speak sloppily and without clarity. But I am to remember that eloquence or wisdom are not particularly impressive things in themselves, and they are not goals in themselves. The impressive thing is our God, and his Son crucified and raised, by his power. The goal is to testify about and boast in God, to know Christ crucified and to do it all by God's power.



1 Institute of TAFE Adult Migrant English Program Research Centre, Fact Sheet – Ethiopia

2 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

1 comments:

fional said...

Thanks for the clarifying thoughts Jonny. Behind the monosyllables lie treasures . . . but then I already knew that about you, mate :-)