Tuesday, December 5, 2006

In All Circumstances

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

'He committed no sin,

and no deceit was found in his mouth.'

When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.” 1 Peter 2:18-25



This is godliness – to love Christ so dearly and follow him so closely that though it may be hard work it is never forced. To have no need to ready myself to be particularly Christ-like in a particular situation, but to step out with him into all of life. And when I am confronted by unjust cruelty I should . . . hurt and I should . . . bear up.* Even as Christ did, out of his great love and mercy.


In my hurt I am unlikely to manage anything more than bearing up silently and avoiding unkindness. I will probably need to close myself off until my hurt passes. I may need to escape the situation rather than sticking around having to interact – which is likely to end badly. All this may be interpreted as unkindness, but better this than what will come out if I open my mouth.


It is appropriate to be hurt, but my thoughts or emotions may also grow sinful. I may become bitter or angry. As fiercely as I keep my mouth shut, I need to ask God to change me.


In some circumstances, the hurt will never pass. But if I am blessed by my hurt easing, then I keep on living as Christ. I should use my renewed energy and peace of mind/heart to forgive, to be appreciative, joyful, open and kind. I should treat the person as if they never hurt me and as if they will never hurt me again. I will leave myself open to cruelty, for I am more concerned about caring for the other person than about looking after myself. I rest safe in the knowledge that my God loves me and has an eternal home for me. I know he will sustain and comfort me as I faithfully follow him in this world.


So the solution, as always, is to grow in our love for our Lord and our desire to please him. And, as always, we cannot do this alone, but only with God's great comfort and help. He knows how much I need it.




*We should bear up in circumstances similar to that of the slave/master described by Peter. However it is good to protect/defend yourself or others in dangerous situations – for example, where there is domestic violence. And in any situation it may be good to make use of the laws and legal system we have been given today.

1 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hi Fiona,
i've finally subscribe to this blog, though i haven't been reading blogs much in the last couple of months i think i'd like to come back and read yours. what you write is very thoughtful, clear, calm & humble and personal & honest. The posts are quite long but i plan to come back when not at work and finish reading them.

love
yvonne