Thursday, July 26, 2007

Paul's Passion*

A man has his father's wife.” “There is jealously and quarreling among you.” “Some of you have become arrogant.” “One brother goes to law against another.” “When you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, for as you eat, each of you goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk.” “If it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?”


What would we think of and say to a church like this? What do we say to people like this, people who call themselves Christian?


Are we as harsh as Paul? “Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.” “I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only how these arrogant people are talking, but what power they have. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a whip, or in love and with a gentle spirit?” “If you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church! I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers?” “In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good.” “Brothers, stop thinking like children.” “Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame. But someone may ask, 'How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?' How foolish!”


How can the same man write the following things? “I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.” “I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children.” “I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you.” “My love to all of you in Christ Jesus.”


Do we see that it is out of love that he is so angry and blunt? Do we see that he's not just some arse-kicking guy, but that he cares deeply for these people and for his God's honour?


And we? Do we so love our brothers and sisters, those under our care, that we are as troubled by their sin, that we speak so bold?


And are we as confident that all will be well? Do we also say, “He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ”?


I know I don't, but I pray that I will.



* Quotes all taken from 1 Corinthians

0 comments: