Thursday, October 4, 2007

Being

Church work is more about being than doing. I am continuing to learn this. So it goes with all profound truths


Until recently I have regarded spending time with God – reading his Word, speaking to him in prayer – as an essential underpinning of my faith and my service and teaching. This is not quite right. Time spent with God should be much more than this for a Christian leader, and maybe for every Christian. It should instead be the focus and climax of my day. All else I do should be because I am inspired and directed by this time with God. My teaching should not be teaching so much as sharing wonders! I should follow the Psalmist's example:


Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees. Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.”


How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”


My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises.” (Psalm 119:23-24, 103, 148)

1 comments:

Jonny said...

Some good thoughts there.