Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Heartbreaking Task of Living Christianly

You try to live rightly each day.

At day's end you look back and know you have sinned - as you did yesterday and will always.

So you seek forgiveness, go to bed and begin another day.


This demoralising experience is different to my day. My day goes more like this:

You try to live rightly each day. It's a welcome challenge because you really do desire it.

At day's end you look back and know you have sinned - as you did yesterday and will always. Yet you know you're getting better. And you remember that God loves you dearly and only asks that you press on.

So you ask for and receive forgiveness, go to bed and begin another day, secure in your Father's care and thankful to him.


The crossover happened for me when I became a Christian. Before that I tried to live Christianly, attempting to measure up to God and never really humbling myself before him. Then I confessed my sin, gave my life over to him and was washed clean and grew to love and delight in him.

2 comments:

Cabernet Leather said...

Well said. Such an important destinction to grasp!

fional said...

Thanks cabernet leather. Congrats on your blogs by the way. Respect.