Monday, December 19, 2011

Better than Aragorn

Here in Australia, we know what it is to be 'saved' or 'rescued' - we have secular narratives that celebrate these events (the Bondi lifesavers, nurses and doctors, giving blood, Search and Rescue). But I don't think we're familiar with the concept of following a 'lord' or 'king'. I can't think of anything that depicts such a relationship - well aside from Lord of the Rings. Because of this, I have found it difficult to feel emotional resonance with Jesus as my King. It leaves me, not so much cold, as unaffected. It doesn't mean anything to me.

Yet when I think about it, I do consider him the one authority over my life. I attempt to do as he says in everything and bring him only honour by my actions. I do entrust my very life to him and feel confident that he is good, just, tender-hearted and powerful. I think of him as I would a perfect king.

Maybe this means that when we speak of Jesus' kingship, we need to spend a little time talking about what that relationship looks like or about the sort of Person and Leader he is. If we stop at the word alone, we may leave people feeling... nothing.

1 comments:

Nick G said...

Good call. I thought I could come up with an example, but I can't. Even when it comes to our leaders; we respect not those we look up to, but those we can look across at; ie. they do a great job *but* in some way they've also proved they're Just Like Us.