Tuesday, March 4, 2014

24

Why was it necessary for Christ, the Redeemer, to die?
Since death is the punishment for sin, Christ died willingly in our place to deliver us from the power and penalty of sin and bring us back to God. By his substitutionary atoning death, he alone redeems us from hell and gains for us forgiveness of sin, righteousness, and everlasting life. (Colossians 1:21-22) (from here)

I am here, as I now am, with all the hopes and promises I hold dear, with you at my side, with sorrow and comfort in sin - all because of you. I don't know how bad the things are that I have done and thought and felt and willed, but I know they're bad. You saved me from hell. You took the punishment that was coming to me and now there is none leftover for me. I don't have to spend a day or a minute there, for I died and was raised with you.

Without you, I would be going to hell for all eternity, though it costs me to say. Now I am safe and at home. Without you, that punishment would be deserved, though I struggle to see it. Now I am safe in your nail-pierced hands.

I tried to take your place. I walked up to you, the Maker and Lord of all, and spat in your face. Or I walked up to you and, failing to even acknowledge you, gazed over your shoulder. Then I started running things my way, as if it were my right. I know I only see the smallest part of how ugly and wrong that was. But you saw the abyss waiting for me and saw that I could not - nor wished to - step aside. So, taking on the disguise of a punk or an indifferent, you jumped in to suffer an eternity of pain - the punishment of many, including me. And now there is none leftover for me. Because of you, I am safe and free.

0 comments: