Thursday, March 13, 2014

27

Are all people, just as they were lost through Adam, saved through Christ?
No, only those who are elected by God and united to Christ by faith. Nevertheless God in his mercy demonstrates common grace even to those who are not elect, by restraining the effects of sin and enabling works of culture for human well-being. (Romans 5:17) (from here)

This is the part I hate of my faith, though I see it is just and fair. Yet I do not understand why, being merciful, you would not extend that mercy to all instead of only some. That is how I would do it. But, Lord, I am nothing. I know nothing. My thinking and feeling is eaten up by sin. Who am I to judge or seek your place? I am not and I do not. Knowing what you did for me and countless others - and greater and better still, for your own glory - I cannot help but declare your goodness and put my trust in you.

Forgive me, Lord, when my doubting and accusing verge on blasphemy. Have me know my place. Have me bow before you and trust you, in part from fear, but much more with happy rejoicing.

And while I don't know if in the end you will save any or all of my friends and family who are now far from you, yet I thank you for them. Thank you for their loyalty and their care, for the many ways they are a blessing to me. Thank you that you stop us from being what we might, from cruelty and violence, betrayal and anarchy, for we are each capable of all that. Thank you for the dignity and intelligence and creativity and good we keep. Help me ever appreciate and respect my friends and society, even as I seek their salvation. Help them see that this is so and wonder at it despite themselves. Have mercy, Lord, have mercy.

0 comments: