Friday, July 24, 2009

Don't take notes in sermons

Graeme Sayer, from the Christian Reformed Church in Kingston, Tasmania (not Jamaica sadly, man) told me he'd heard someone say it's bad to take notes during sermons - because the purpose of a sermon isn't for people to remember what was said and reflect on it later.

The purpose of a sermon is for people to listen to what God is saying to them NOW and change their thinking and hearts NOW and change their behaviour WHILE ENJOYING A POST-SERMON COFFEE. Ever since he told me, I've stopped taking notes and it's been good. Makes me appreciate, trust in and marvel at God's transforming power.

5 comments:

Radagast said...

I remember hearing a sermon once where the main message was the need to go up to strangers during the post-sermon coffee and greet them. I was a stranger, but nobody did.

As far as I could tell, they took lots of notes during the sermon, though.

Bron said...

yeah, I like that. I stopped taking notes ages ago and I also don't follow along with the bible reading either. Of couse, I look at the bible during the sermon, but during the reading at the beginning I always try to listen instead. I find I actually pay attention better that way.

fional said...

Oh dear Radagast, that's really bad.

RodeoClown said...

I take notes to ensure I pay attention. I started taking notes around the beginning of this year, and I don't think I've ever looked over them since - but I find I actually listen to the sermons rather than sit there watching the pastor and thinking about computer games, or my wife's fantastic cooking, or that the guy in front of me has bad dandruff etc.

fional said...

Oh gosh, yeah if it helps you concentrate that's different thing and that's great. I guess my concern is just that people don't by taking notes forget that God changes them as they hear the Word.