Thursday, October 15, 2009

Miss Lockett's rules

On Sunday afternoons I am happily paid to teach some small classes. At 2:30 I've got a grade one English class and at 4:00 we go onto Maths. I didn't start with any particular rules or classroom philosophy in mind, but here are some that have sprung up along the way:

  • Our class motto is: Have a go. Even if you can't do it all or you get some bits wrong, do what you can.
  • If you've got something to ask or say, put up your hand.
  • If the teacher is busy helping someone else, you have two options - skip what you're finding hard and go on with something else, or ask one of your classmates for help.
  • You can work together or help each other anytime you want. The only time you can't do this is if it's a test.
  • I don't like boasting about marks or hearing kids say "It's easy" because it makes other kids feel bad.
  • You have to play quiet games in breaks because otherwise it distracts the other classes around. You can't climb on chairs because one of the teachers thinks it's unsafe and we need to respect her. You can't keep working because your brain needs a rest. You can do anything else you like.
  • If you're naughty you'll probably just be told off/given the silent treatment/told you're being immature and unimpressive. You may be threatened with the naughty chair or the black slip (which is actually yellow).
I also have a grade 4 Writing class where the students learn to write stories and essays and other things. There are less rules for this class because I run it more like a seminar. I love this class too - I get to teach the same things about writing that I would teach a class of adults.

2 comments:

Nikki Lynch said...

I love the idea of you being a teacher....I reckon you're one of the only people in the world who could control and inspire a class full of ratty kids with a quiet voice.

I especially love the writing class thing...I had a writers workshop teacher who would just sit on a desk and talk to us (and get us to talk and read our stuff aloud) the whole time....I think she got a state award for it!

fional said...

Aw thanks Nikki - you warm my teacher's heart. Actually while I'm okay at controlling kids, I could be better . . . but then again maybe that's just the nature of the job - unless you're a complete fascist it's always going to feel a bit rowdy and chaotic . . .