Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dying to yourself

I forgot about sacrifice - or perhaps I never really knew. That was until Wednesday last week when I heard a sermon on Acts 20:24 in the morning, and I did Bible study on John 15:12 at night. I think that in recent times I've been so focused on the twin challenges of learning to live a balanced life so I won't burn-out and becoming comfortable in my own skin, that I've slipped into thinking it's enough to be kind.

Jesus was kind, and yet, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us". (1 John 3:16)

I must join Paul in saying "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." (Acts 20:24) I thank God that I don't have to do it out of mechanical duty. He has loved us so lavishly we can put others first out of love. I pray that I won't be lazy and forget this again and that I won't be hard of heart. How good it would be if loving my God and caring for the people around was the first and only inclination of my mind and heart.

0 comments: