Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't believe the lies

I get so used to death being a part of this world that I forget its horror and sometimes even half-believe the arguments made in its defence. The following wry exchange was a dose of reality. It's from White Noise, a brilliant, darkly entertaining, wonderfully written satirical novel by Don Delillo. Murray and Jack are speaking, fellow lecturers at the College-on-the-Hill.

"Do you think it's a sense of incompleteness that causes you the deepest regret? There are things you still hope to accomplish. Work to be done, intellectual challenges to be faced."

"The deepest regret is death. The only thing to face is death. This is all I think about. There's only one issue here. I want to live."

. . . .

"This is death. I don't want it to tarry awhile so I can write a monongraph. I want it to go away for seventy or eighty years."

. . . .

"Do you believe the only people who fear death are those who are afraid of life?"

"That's crazy. Completely stupid."

"Right. We all fear death to some extent. Those who claim otherwise are lying to themselves. Shallow people."

"People with their nicknames on their license plates."

"Excellent, Jack. Do you believe life without death is somehow incomplete?"

"How could it be incomplete? Death is what makes it incomplete."

"Doesn't our knowlege of death make life more precious?"

"What good is a preciousness based on fear and anxiety? It's an anxious quivering thing."

"True. The most deeply precious things are those we feel secure about . A wife, a child. Does the specter of death make a child more precious?"

"No."

"No. There is no reason to believe life is more precious because it is fleeting. Here is a statement. A person has to be told he is going to die before he can begin to live life to the fullest. True or false?"

"False. Once your death is established, it becomes impossible to live a satisfying life."

"Would you prefer to know the exact date and time of your death?"

"Absolutely not. It's bad enough to fear the unknown. Faced with the unknown, we can pretend it isn't there. Exact dates would drive many to suicide, if only to beat the system." (p283, 284-85)

2 comments:

Nikki Lynch said...

Thanks for this post Fi. I read White Noise a few years ago, its a pretty amazing/claustrophobic/honest book.

My fear masked as apathy is really getting me at the moment. Its too painful to think about, so I start believing the lies about it. Someone very dear to me has just developed cancer that's spreading fast, though she does have at least a few years. Her nursing work has been in palliative care and she's nursed quite a few dying relatives and i think is more comfortable with death than most having been around so much of it.

I'd like to be able to face it and actually talk to her about what she believes and how she feels.

fional said...

Hey Nikki :-),

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's disease. No-one close to me has died so I don't really know what it's like, but I do know that it's okay to feel scared and in pain about it - death is awful and wrong. I can imagine just wanting to run or hide, but we have hope in our hands even when it feels like we don't.

xo I'll pray for your friend and for your friendship with her.