Monday, September 5, 2011

Yoof

Faithful readers of this blog (note the emotional manipulation) will know that I have 'a thing' about how we treat teenagers. I'm all for treating them as adults before their time (well, adults with assistance). I know it's nowhere near that simple in gritty practice.

I've come across a couple things lately that sit nicely with my idealism. In one Hobart church, young teenagers are given sermon outlines (much like churches might do for international students), and sat off to one side of the room with their 'youth leaders' while the sermon is preached. This way they can quietly talk through any points of confusion.

A northern Tasmanian church holds 'youth group' straight after the Sunday service, so everyone can eat together and talk through what they learned.

No games here folks: I'm the Fun Police.


H/T Elbie and Simon

3 comments:

Alistair Bain said...

I like the idea of the 'youth group' after the service.

I don't think I like the idea of the youth sitting off with their leader while the sermon is being preached.

This seems like a thing that parents should be doing, not youth leaders.

But if there are no parents there? Then it could be a great thing I reckon. But why restrict it to just youth?

Although as a preacher I'm pretty sure I'd be annoyed if people were talking, even quietly, amongst themselves while I was preaching.

fional said...

Your point about the parents sounds fair. While I don't mind the idea of youth leaders who are young themselves, you've got me wondering why it is we have them. Is it just that youth 'relate better' to people more their age? Is this a good reason?

Oh and as for your point about audible talking, yeah maybe being given a sermon outline is enough.

Alistair Bain said...

Yeah. Youth leaders. Tricky one.

I think they're great. Just as Women's workers are great too. Not necessary. But if you can afford one then I reckon you should try and have one.