Sunday, November 27, 2011

Books

My old SMBC lecturers (old as in they were my lecturers in times past) have been busy scribbling away. They are a very gifted, intelligent, thoughtful and lucid bunch and I would like to commend their works to you.

Bruce Dipple has written a deceptively simple book about how local churches can do a great job of cross-cultural mission. Be sure to read it carefully as it's dotted with considered, insightful gems. I don't agree with all the structures he advocates, but that's okay.

Stuart Coulton has written a novel-length church history and, as ever, communicates in a clear, engaging and easy-to-understand manner, while everywhere including nuance and carefully won conclusion.

And while I haven't dipped into it yet, if Alan Thompson's commentary on Acts is anything like his lectures, it will be eminently intelligent and faithful to the text, with warm and lucid expression.

0 comments: