Monday, August 10, 2009

Theology

I love immersing myself in the Bible and coming away with something of an overview of what God says on a particular topic. And I love it that throughout history other, smarter people have done this and I get to read and benefit from their work. So I get cross when people accuse theology of being esoteric and useless for everyday living. Knowing anything more about the reality of the different things that make up life is always going to have practical use. Of course, you can be lazy and not bother to think about the practical implication of some point of theology. Or you can be cowardly and not actually get out there and live in that way. But the blame for those things lies in a different direction to theology.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Agreed. All theology is practical. What could be more practical than a deeper knowledge of the God who made us?

Do you know, I had so many sweet little old ladies just shake their heads and tell me that all that theology would kill my faith when I said I was going to seminary. Sad!