Monday, March 7, 2011

Fix your eyes on him

I feel like I've written about perseverance before, but if I have it was so long ago that not even the search function remembers. I'm a massive fan of perseverance and I think it is often undervalued. I mean, from perseverance springs character, hope, godliness and love (Romans 5:3-4; 2 Peter 1:5-7)! When Paul boasts about the Thessalonians it's because of their perseverance (2 Thess 1:4)! And when perseverance finishes its work it results in people who are "mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:4)!

But it's still not very sexy is it. I mean when you're actually in the middle of persevering it doesn't feel like any sort of noble task. It just feels grim and wearing. Ah, but to continue to look to God and to continue to act on his promises when you experience neither relief nor reward, that is faith. That is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1) - or at least trying to be.

If that's where you are, don't give up. Continue to trust that God is in charge and that he knows more than you. He is watching over you and it will not always be this way. Your pressing on in the midst of ugliness has made you beautiful.

0 comments: