Thursday, April 7, 2011

My area of expertise

I did highschool at a fancy girls' school. The other day I received an invitation to either participate in their upcoming 'Careers Expo' or to be part of their guest speaker program. I have mixed feelings about my highschool years, but thought this was a great opportunity. Here's my spiel. My aim was to make it comprehensible, professional and engaging.
I began my working life as a Speech Pathologist dealing mainly with adults who had experienced strokes and head injuries. I worked in this field for seven years, in Hobart, Canberra, England and Ireland. Then, after becoming a Christian, I decided to combine my spirituality with my working life. I began by doing an apprenticeship with Crossroads Presbyterian church, a local Hobart church, then went to Sydney to do formal training at a Masters level. On completion of my course I returned to Hobart and resumed working for Crossroads church. My main role involves teaching the Bible to the women of the church and mentoring them as they seek to live as Christians in their everyday lives. I also help the leadership with the day-to-day running of the church, with evaluation and planning for the future, and with coordination of various events. I am also currently preparing for work as an overseas missionary, inspired in part by my love of Latin American people and culture.

0 comments: