Monday, November 16, 2009

Australian Idol

I love Australian Idol. It's always a pleasure to watch talented artists, and I enjoy the whole mentoring process - the judges are always making astute, creatively informed comments. This year I'm also loving seeing the characters of a couple of contestants. One of them (Stan Walker) is definitely a Christian. I'm not so sure about the other one (Toby Moulton), because there's a gag order on religious talk.

These men have the judges commenting on their character almost as often as their singing. The thing that stands out most to me is their humility. Even though they can't say much, they are a brilliant witness. I think more Christians should go on reality shows (unless of course the show's premise is spiteful or crass). Our culture might not care about metanarratives, but we care a lot about individual's stories and how a person's beliefs play out in their life.


- apologies for all the equi-length sentences. It's a bit jolting to read. I wouldn't get a good mark for "Sentence Variation" if I was one of my students.

1 comments:

Angus said...

I've barely seen any of it this year, but I watched the Final Two show, and was really impressed with Stan. His song choice was a bit off with the Beyonce song, but he has a powerful, sweet, well-toned voice. The other girl is a really good performer, and I think she's in with a chance. But I think Stan is the better singer. I'd like to hear an album of his more than her.