Monday, March 29, 2010

Art

Creative expression is very often subtle and nuanced. It speaks to our emotions, subconscience and aesthetic sensibility. Its meaning may be deliberately or unavoidably ambiguous or hidden. Because it comes to us in this complex form, we can each respond to different elements. So, for example, I listen to music for melody and emotion. I like music with passion and music that makes me want to dance. Even though I love words, when I listen to music I don't care too much what they say. I don't even really mind if they're offensive. But other people listen to music differently and, for them, the lyrics will be the number one thing. In all things, Christians have to be careful not to judge one another, but, because it is so easy to make false assumptions about each others' experience of art, I think that this is even more important here.

2 comments:

Angus said...

I don't know if you're talking specifically about some rap music, but I listen to heaps of songs with lyrics that I would never ever agree with. I don't listen to them because of the lyrics but because of the emotion the combination of the music and words makes. I can see, however, how other people might just read the lyrics and write it off as filth.

fional said...

Yeah that's the sort of thing I had in mind, but I reckon there's stax of other examples as well.