Monday, March 1, 2010

Big scale

Sydney is an event city. Perhaps lots of big cities are. Things don't happen organically or small-scale here (well, apart from the health system ;-)) - they get organised. So, people go to the Official Opera Australia Program. They go wine-tasting at the Official Wine Tasting Festival Tour Thing. They explore ideas at the Official Series Of Lectures Put On By A University. And it's the same in the Christian world. If there's something everyone needs to learn or get amped about, we put on an Official Katoomba or Hillsong Conference or run an Official Beach Mission.

I actually think it's great that Christian culture accords with the wider culture in this regard. But I do find it funny - just because I'm not used to it. And I'm wary of it being seen as a foolproof solution because I know that it wouldn't work too well in a place like Tassie.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love this -- little cultural observations like this make me very happy.

fional said...

Thanks Laura. I hope I haven't offended too many Sydneysiders though . . .