Monday, February 21, 2011

The prayers of the saints

Gosh I feel uncomfortable when people 'make a fuss' over my missionary plans. This comes partly from noble reasons. I worry that people will think that I am somehow being more spiritual or faithful by doing ministry overseas; whereas I'm convinced that serving God in your current situation can be every bit as spiritual or faithful. I also sometimes worry that people expect me to be a superhuman sort of person: simple-hearted, single-minded, über-zealous - and strangely genteel.

Ah, but there's ignoble stuff woven all through my thinking. I should be assuming the best of people. Why not simply think that they are excited by my ministry; that they love these people they haven't even met; that they just want to give me every support? I hope to think that way from now on, like our brother Paul.

On [God] we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favour granted us in answer to the prayers of many. (2 Cor 1:10-11)

2 comments:

Joe Towns said...

Yep, for us it's the simple stuff: very exited by you/we helping the gospel to grow more in South American and Chile, and want to support you to help make it happen and praying you yourself can survive 'fit and healthy' in every way through the journey!

fional said...

Thanks Joe and co! You guys are super encouraging :)