Monday, February 14, 2011

More than we know

I didn't use to trust God very much. I knew I ought to and I prayed about it for a long time and tried to pay special attention to Bible passages that spoke of his trustworthiness. But I do trust him now - not completely, but far, far more than I did. I didn't do anything to garner that trust - it's just that he answered my prayers.

My trust in him has taken the sting out of the things I don't like about my life. I still have no better idea of what my future will look like and if my desires will be fulfilled, but I figure there's a very good chance he's got it covered, one way or another. I figure he'll look after me.

I think that with God we're like little babies. My friend's kid was bawling the other day, desperate to eat his lunch. His Mum had it ready, but it was too hot so she had to wait a minute before giving it to him. She reassured him, "I'm actually preparing you one. It may seem like I'm not giving you one, but I am."

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:8-9)

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Cor 4:16-18)

2 comments:

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

I've reflected on this often since you pointed it out. It gives me more confidence that God has a plan for my life, even (and especially) when I resent my circumstances.

As our loving father, he knows so much more about ourselves and our lives than we could ever hope to: 'If you, then, though you are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those that ask him!'(Mt 7:11)

fional said...

Yeah.