Thursday, April 16, 2009

Evangelical and Pentecostal Churches

People who attend evangelical and pentecostal churches don’t always have a lot to do with each other.[1] Sometimes it because there’s disagreement and animosity; sometimes there’s disagreement and love; and sometimes it’s got nothing to do with disagreement – the circles just don’t mix. This lack of contact can lead to generalisations and stereotypes, neither of which are helpful. So I’m going to outline what I see as the primary focuses of and driving forces behind each group. I have more experience with evangelicalism than pentecostalism, so please forgive me if I get it wrong.

I'll begin speaking broadly. It seems to me that evangelicals focus more on the past and on our undeserved salvation, and pentecostals focus more on the future and on our amazing blessings. This means that evangelicals talk more about sin and forgiveness, and pentecostals more about empowerment and purpose. The evangelicals come across as pessimists and the pentecostals as optimists! Interestingly - and disturbingly - neither group focuses very much on our heavenly future.

To get more specific, I think that evangelicals desire to:

  • Be good (righteous/godly/loving/servant-hearted).
    They believe they get there by depending on God for each new thing – by repenting, praying, learning from and being obedient to his Word.
  • Know God better (and better comprehend his love).
    They get there by meditating on his Word, praying and being obedient.
  • See lost people saved.
    They get there by depending on God, preaching, loving and serving.

And pentecostals desire to:

  • Be fruitful (living out their calling, purpose and potential/being loving/being servant-hearted).
    They get there by having sincere, confident faith that God has given them the power to do this.
  • Experience a closer personal relationship with God.
    They get there by worshiping and praying.
  • See lost people saved.
    They get there by depending on God, preaching, loving and serving.

This is not to say that either group rejects or fails to practice any of what I have written for the other one, just that it’s not their primary emphasis.

So, what do you think? Have I portrayed both groups accurately? What's missing?

[1] Here I am using 'evangelical' to mean churches that are not liberal, high or pentecostal (or Catholic or Orthodox).

2 comments:

Bron said...

Hey, awesome thoughts. I don't really have anything to add... I just wanted to say I liked your post :)

ambersun said...

I think this was a pretty fair comparison but do agree with Joe on the influence of the prosperity gospel on Pentecostal churches.

Hope you are well

God Bless

Amber