Saturday, April 25, 2009

My Driving Forces: Denial and Honesty

Life didn't used to make sense. When something was hard or when I screwed up, I didn't have any answers, so the way I dealt with stuff was to not even make the attempt. I used to stop myself thinking about anything confronting, challenging or confusing. I got very good at this, which obviously didn't solve or advance anything. So that was one problem.

The other problem was that it lead to deceit. It meant that if I was having trouble with something and needed help, I would never ask, and if I screwed up, I would never tell. What I would do is pretend it was all okay and hope that the problem would fix itself or go away. This was a dangerous road and not one I'd recommend.

So now I am deliberately, actively honest and - where appropriate - open about everything. This is how I make sure I don't slip back into my old way of dealing with stuff. I am enormously grateful that I am always sure of forgiveness and help from my Father and my brothers and sisters.

0 comments: