Friday, September 4, 2009

YOU LIKE ORANGE!???


So my Brazilian friend Angela and I were busy studying Spanish, when another friend came and asked us what she should wear to a Latin American themed party. I felt very in touch when my answer was the same as Angela's. So here's the Latin American female fashion aesthetic. Jeans. High, high heels. A tight, bright top. Big, shiny earrings. And you cannot have a balanced, nuanced colour palate. Ditch the palate - it's all about embracing a single colour. Angela told our friend to go to her wardrobe, imagine she's feeling the happiest she's ever felt and then pick her clothes. That's latina fashion. It's much the same for men except you've gotta work the machismo. Whatever you do, do not be subtle.

I love it. It cracks me up and makes me happy at the same time. And in case my description was at all unclear, the photo above should provide all the clarification needed.

2 comments:

Laura said...

YES! Jeans that look painted on are also important, even if they're so tight they make your stomach squish out over the waistband. And two cups of hair product is, I believe, the minimum amount required by law.

Men must wear at least one gold necklace, preferably more, including an Our Lady medallion at minimum.

I went to high school with a Latina girl who wore a skin-tight mini dress, nylons, and heels every single day. Add to that a perfect coif, long polished nails, and immaculate makeup, plus the posture of a ballerina, and you get a girl who never had to run in gym class. I think people were so mesmerized by her that they just let her do whatever she wanted.

fional said...

:-D :-D

"I think people were so mesmerized by her that they just let her do whatever she wanted." :-D