Saturday, October 22, 2011

True feelings

So that I might stand and lie, I have spent the last few days 'attending' Moore College's 2011 School of Theology - 'True Feelings: Emotions in Christian Life and Ministry'.

One of the key threads running through the talks was that we are complex beings, with emotions an integral part of who we are. Many speakers observed the range and intensity of emotions experienced (and thereby validated) by Christ and his apostles. Another key theme was that, if we are to mature as people, we must grow emotionally. This was said to be true not only of our engagement with people and life's circumstances, but even with the process of 'knowing'. A number of speakers suggested that the emotion bound up in biblical narrative, poetry and song helps us to process reality and knowledge in a holistic way. A couple of speakers (Richard Gibson and David Hohne) argued that the Bible depicts emotional growth and the Spirit's presence in times of personal suffering and as we empathise with the sufferings of our brothers and sisters (in contrast to the secular vision for gaining 'emotional intelligence').

I'd like to get better at telling people of my love and concern for them. I'd like to care about them more, with the passion of Paul (and even of Christ), and be more brave in sharing in their joys and sorrows. I'd like to find some Christian music that I actually enjoy, so I can be built up by it.

I rejoice in the fact that we don't just know stuff about God, but we know him. I rejoice in how he has made us, and how his Word is designed to mature us as whole people, and how that's not at all dry. I rejoice in being able to stand together and sing.
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

0 comments: