Monday, February 3, 2014

12

What does God require in the ninth and tenth commandments?
Ninth, that we do not lie or deceive, but speak the truth in love. Tenth, that we are content, not envying anyone or resenting what God has given them or us. (James 2:8) (from here)

Lord, I see that these last commandments are all of a piece. We are not to hate or injure our neighbour, nor are we to cheat on our most intimate relation, nor steal what is others. And here, we are not to cause injury by lying, nor to even yearn after what is others and wish it ours. Once again, we are to ever be unright and content, even should our situation be undesirable and our actions make things worse for us. We are to think less in and of ourselves and more of others - and you. We are to think of ourselves - not in terms of achieving comfort and pleasure, but rather striving for beauty of character, making you proud. Guard my tongue and heart, Lord. Let me always speak the truth, in love. Let me be content. Let me trust you to look after me as I live this way. Amen.

0 comments: