Wednesday, February 12, 2014

17

What is idolatry?
Idolatry is trusting in created things rather than the Creator for our hope and happiness, significance and security. (Romans 1:21 & 25) (from here)

Lord, I don't want to talk about this because I love my idols so much I'm afraid you'll take them away. Somehow I think that by never mentioning them, you won't notice they're there. Silly. I'm like a kid who cuts their fringe and acts as if nothing's wrong, or who hides a broken thing the best their little limbs can manage, leaving most of it on display. Forgive me.

Lord, the things I don't want you to take away are... Now I have to think about what these fears show my idols to be- Lord, this isn't good. You should be enough for me. Thank you for giving me Pablo to teach this to me. Help me learn it and be glad. Help me see truely, and give me the courage to act on what you teach me - that you are sufficient and best - even when my heart is not yet convinced. Take from me this image of you as grasping and mean - that you would enjoy taking good things from me to make me love you more. Help me see that you are gracious and gentle, kindly and very generous. Bless me and teach me to enjoy what you give me as undeserved gifts from a better God. Let me know you so well and love you so dearly that I don't fear the loss of these things, but rather that they lose their import because you are my treasure and my heart's delight.

God, I am a baby in this. Take my hand, lead me and teach me, that I may be an example for others, that I may honour you as is your due. Amen.

0 comments: