Tuesday, February 4, 2014

13

Can anyone keep the law of God perfectly?
Since the fall, no mere human has been able to keep the law of God perfectly, but consistently breaks it in thought, word, and deed. (Romans 3:10-12) (from here)

Forgive me for my sin, Lord. I think ugly things; I care little for people; I expect myself to be the star of the lives of all around me; I care little for your commands and I think ill of you; I am hardly troubled by my sins - I forget to confess them, and when I do, I struggle to name them. All this of treating others with humanity and respect and great care and ever remaining upright - I fail at it all, and when I do do it, my motives and emotions are impure. And I do not begin to grasp that for these particular sins in my life, including those of today, Jesus had to die; nor do I understand what he suffered.

Forgive me, Lord. Help me see and shudder at my sin - and then rejoice. Help me face up to and endure the shame of it, with certain hope that I will be immediately, unhesitatingly and utterly forgiven, made clean, and welcomed by you. Thank you. Thank you.

0 comments: